The cemetary was begun in 1863 as the main Camp Nelson Cemetery and contains the remains of 1,600 Camp Nelson soldiers, including some 600 African-Americans. In 1868 this cemetery was designated a National Cemetery and over 2,200 Civil War dead from several Kentucky Civil War sites including Perryville, Richmond and Covington were reburied here.
BACK TO MAP
Camp Nelson Cemetery Photos from the Historic Roadside Markers Website
© CAMP NELSON RESTORATION AND PRESERVATION FOUNDATION