CAMP NELSON NATIONAL CEMETERY
The National Cemetery is adjacent to Camp Nelson Heritage Park.
It is not part of Camp Nelson Heritage Park.
|THE CEMETERY WAS BEGUN IN 1863 as the main Camp Nelson Cemetery and contains the remains of 1,600 Camp Nelson soldiers, including some 600 African-Americans. In 1868 this cemetery was designated a National Cemetery and over 2,200 Civil War dead from several Kentucky Civil War sites including Perryville, Richmond and Covington were reburied here. The cemetery office which was built in 1875, serves as a visitors center. (A video highlighting the history of Camp Nelson is shown there on request.)|
Cemetery Information: Michael R. Niklarz at (859) 885-5727
Camp Nelson National Cemetery Roadside Historical Marker
This site includes color photos of
the present day Camp Nelson National Cemetery.
© CAMP NELSON RESTORATION AND PRESERVATION FOUNDATION